Chocolate Pecan Banana Bread with Cream Cheese Glaze
I love Banana Bread! I love bananas. I found out a year or so ago that I am allergic to bananas. That stinks. So many of my favorite desserts and breakfast foods contain bananas. I am so excited to find out, though, that my allergy is just to fresh bananas, not baked. So, I really enjoy having things like banana bread. This is my own recipe that I worked on to make it just right. So, now this is my favorite recipe. I also like the recipes that call for Sour Cream, but I don’t always keep that on hand. So, I developed this one to be made out of ingredients I keep on hand regularly.
Anytime my family has extra bananas, I let them get a little too ripe and then throw them in the freezer. I do not peel them or anything. I just set them in the freezer just as they are. They turn dark, but the skin keeps the banana perfect for a couple months (if they last that long).
The best way to defrost those frozen bananas is to take them out about 2 hours before you want to use them and leaving them on the counter. They should peel easily and smash well. I use 3 medium/large bananas for this recipe. If you only have small bananas, use 4. One other note, I use extra dark chocolate chips. You don’t need to use extra dark chocolate, but if you do, believe me, there is enough richness and sugar in the recipe to totally compensate for the “bitterness” of the chocolate.
Just a word of warning, I don’t make this recipe often. Why? I could eat the entire loaf of banana bread myself in one sitting. Yes, I am not kidding. It is that rich and delish.
- Banana Bread
- 3 or 4 Ripe Bananas Smashed
- 1/3 cup softened or room temperature butter
- 1 cup sugar (you could reduce this to 3/4 cup if your bananas are extra sweet)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup nuts (chopped) (pecans or walnuts are best)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Cream Cheese Glaze
- 4 Ounces Cream Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 or 4 tablespoons of milk
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease an 4x8 loaf pan
- Cream butter and sugar in a medium sized bowl.
- Add egg, vanilla, bananas and salt and beat for at least 30 seconds to both add air to the batter and to break the bananas down.
- Add flour and baking soda, beat only until combined. Don't over-mix.
- Fold in chopped nuts and chocolate chips.
- Immediately pour into the bread pan and bake for 50 - 60 minutes.
- Remove from Oven and let sit on a cooling rack in the pan for about 5 minutes. Then carefully turn out of the pan and let cool for 30 minutes (longest 30 minute of your life). Then cover with glaze.
- Glaze Instructions:
- Beat Cream Cheese and powdered sugar.
- Stir in vanilla and 2 tablespoons of the milk. Add milk a little at a time until you reached a glaze consistency.
So, how do you like to use extra bananas?