Cupcake Cones for the Perfect Treat
Cupcake Cones are fantastic for children’s birthday parties, but I love them for every day. They’re easy to make and look fantastic, and they put a lot of smiles on kids when they see them. If you happen to have kids that don’t enjoy ice cream, Cupcake Cones are the perfect way for them to still enjoy an ice cream cone but actually have a cupcake instead.
Tips and Tricks for Cupcake Cones
Cupcake Cones are simple to make and require no specialty equipment other than a simple cupcake pan and some beans. Dried beans around the bottom of the ice cream cone holds the cup in place when transferring the pan to the oven and keep the small bottom of the cone insulated for a more even baking of the cake batter. I remember my mom making these when I was a kid and placing the pan in the oven and then pouring the cake batter into the cups. It was a pain in the behind and many times the cupcake cones tipped over in the oven when she slid the rack back in. By securing the cones with dried beans you’re insuring that the cone stays upright and your cones come out perfectly.
Another tip is that when frosted. the cones are top heavy. as I found out when I put one on the counter and it did a nosedive. So make sure you have them put snugly on a plate so they don’t tip over and you lose your frosting!
- 1 box cake mix, any flavor
- Ingredients to make the cake, per the box
- 24 ice cream cups
- 1 lb small dried beans, such as azuki or navy beans
- frosting, any flavor
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Make the cake mix according to the directions.
- Place the ice cream cones in a cupcake pan, securing by pouring beans around the bottom.
- Fill the cones 2/3 full with cake batter.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick in the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Let cool and frost, then decorate.
Cupcake Cones for Every Occasion
You can make Cupcake Cones for any occasion. Change up the sprinkles on top, the color frosting, and even the cones themselves. For everyday use, I use a regular cones, but for special occasions such as a birthday, I love to use a color cup for Cupcake Cones. They are bright and fun, and kids love to choose their color.
This year skip the birthday cake and make whimsical Cupcake Cones instead!