DIY Pumpkin Pie Spice
Do you LOVE Pumpkin Pie Spice Lattes? Or maybe you like to make cinnamon toast and would like to kick it up a notch? Well Pumpkin Pie Spice is SOOOOO easy to make at home with your own common ingredients….you may never buy the jar of premixed spices again.
I love this recipe, because I am not a HUGE fan of Nutmeg. So, I can use less nutmeg and add a little more ginger…to make it EXACTLY what I want. You can customize too. Below is the basic recipe for you to play with.
- 4 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 3 teaspoons ground allspice
- 3 teaspoons ground cloves (I use a little less)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg (I use a little less)
- This couldn't be more simple. Just combine all these spices together and store them in an airtight container. If you have an empty spice jar from store-bought spices, you can also use that. Just make sure to clean it thoroughly as to not cause any off flavors in this spice mix. Label well and use within 6 months.
- FYI, this tastes amazing sprinkled on top of a cup of coffee. :)
There are so many ways you can use this mixture. One other way…drop a teaspoon of the spice mixture into the next batch of cookies you are making. It won’t be enough that you think…oh, these are pumpkin pie cookies. It will be just enough that you will think, I wonder what that is that makes it so good.
And of course the next time you are craving a Pumpkin Spice latte from your coffee joint, think about making it at home and saving a LOT of money in the process. You could either take your hot coffee and add a sprinkle of the spice, or pour your hot coffee over ice and add whipped cream. Topping the whipped cream with a sprinkle of this spice is TRULY decadent.