Taco Eggs for Breakfast Appetizers
It’s a new category in food: Breakfast Appetizers. You’ve had appetizers for lunch and dinner, but why don’t we munch on something while we wait for breakfast? Brilliant, right? Taco Eggs are an easy way to have something to nibble on while you make a more complex breakfast, keeping the masses at bay while you get things around. Taco Eggs are an easy appetizer that will have your family smiling in minutes and without a whole lot of fuss. I have a grocery rule: always keep wonton wrappers in the refrigerator. You never know when you need to make an appetizer of some sort and wonton wrappers are the way to go.
Common Ingredients for Taco Eggs
Making Taco Eggs is super simple. Wonton wrappers form the shell that whole the wonderful goodies. Eggs, quickly scrambled in your favorite way, give the Taco Eggs a bit of protein, while enchilada sauce gives them a little bit of a bite. Shredded cheese, green onions, sour cream, and whatever other taco toppings you like round out the dish and you can even set it up as a mini breakfast bar for a fun brunch gathering. I love to make guacamole and put out chopped olives, green onions, extra cheese, and sour cream, as well as extra taco sauce. It makes for a fun and easy morning.
- 2 eggs
- 1 T milk
- 12 wonton wrappers
- 4 T red enchilada sauce
- 3 green onions, sliced thin
- 1/4 C shredded cheddar
- sour cream
- green onions, sliced (optional garnish)
- Whisk the eggs and milk. Make scrambled eggs using your favorite method.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mini muffin tin, place the wonton wrappers, forming cups.
- Divide the eggs into 12 servings and place in the bottom of the wonton wrapper cups.
- Top with 1 teaspoon of enchilada sauce, a sprinkling of green onions and cheese.
- Bake for 12 minutes in heated oven.
- Serve warm with sour cream and green onions, if desired.
Making Taco Eggs Up Ahead of Time
While Taco Eggs are easy to make and don’t take much time at all to get to the table, you can also make them up ahead of time, partially bake them, then warm them up and finish the baking when you want to serve them. It’s a great and easy way to have Taco Eggs ready when you are, whether that’s 8 am or 8 pm. Always keep some wonton wrappers on hand in the fridge just in case you get a hankering for Taco Eggs.