Chocolate Avocado Mousse? Really? That Can’t Be Good!
Actually, it is. Even if you don’t like avocados, you will LOVE this thick and creamy Chocolate Avocado Mousse that is a healthy alternative to the real thing. Filled with all the goodness of avocados, Chocolate Avocado Mousse has an abundance of fiber and potassium, as well as vitamins C, K, B6, and folate, which makes it a much healthier choice over something with fairly empty calories. While the fat content is about the same as in a slice of cheesecake, the fat in avocados is a very healthy fat that our body can process more easily than something in a fried food. It’s even been proven to help our body absorb antioxidants such as lycopene and beta-carotene more easily, getting more benefit from these important nutrients.
Can You Taste the Avocados in Chocolate Avocado Mousse?
No, you don’t! Chocolate Avocado Mousse doesn’t taste like the bland avocado at all. The thick creaminess of the avocado lends structure while it absorbs the delectable decadence of the chocolate, accentuated with a bit of vanilla and sea salt. It’s a smooth, rich taste that will leave you satisfied and pleasantly happy, knowing you just enjoyed a healthy dessert that tasted like heaven.
- 1/2 C semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 C raw sugar
- 1/4 C water
- 4 ripe avocados, pitted, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 C unsweetened cocoa
- 1 T vanilla
- 1/4 t sea salt
- Melt the chocolate chips gently in the microwave or over a double boiler until completely melted. Set aside to cool slightly.
- While the chocolate chips are melting, place the raw sugar and water in a small saucepan and heat over medium high heat until the sugar melts into the water. Do not stir. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Place all the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until fluffy and smooth, about 4 minutes.
- Spoon into bowls and chill for an hour. Serve with fruits in season.
Chocolate Avocado Mousse as Ice Cream
Just out of a whim, I placed a bowl of Chocolate Avocado Mousse in the freezer, to see what would happen. Well, the result was a thick, scrumptious ice cream, that I didn’t feel a bit guilty about eating. It was quite stiff, and the chocolate really popped. I don’t think I need to purchase ice cream this summer! I’m going to whip up a batch of Chocolate Avocado Mousse and enjoy feeding my body something healthy.
Next time you need a guilty pleasure, grab some ripe avocados and chocolate, and whip up a batch of Chocolate Avocado Mousse!