Lemonade Cupcakes for a Fresh Summer Treat
Lemonade is one of the quintessential drinks of summertime. Sweet and tart, it quenches the thirst of millions every summer, and becomes a great money-maker for kids’ corner stands everywhere. But what if you could embody all that is summer in Lemonade Cupcakes? Tart and sweet, these cupcakes bring lemonade to your dessert table. The cake itself is lemony, with frozen lemonade added to the batter, and the Swiss meringue buttercream frosting is heavenly and light, perfect when sprinkled with a bit of lemonade drink mix. Best of all, these cupcakes are easy to make, even with the frosting, but Lemonade Cupcakes will taste like you bought them at the fanciest bakery in town.
Different Ingredients for Lemonade Cupcakes
While you start out Lemonade Cupcakes with a vanilla box cake mix, that’s about where the normal cupcake part of this ends. Instead of using water, eggs, and oil, this cupcake takes eggs, sour cream, and cream cheese. It makes a firmer, yet tender, cupcake that can hold up to the rigors of mounds of frosting. For the Swiss meringue buttercream that I chose for the Lemonade Cupcakes, don’t be frightened by the ingredients. There’s enough frosting here for two batches of cupcakes. A pound and a half of butter goes into it, and it is well worth the little bit of effort it takes to make this light and airy delight! I put a bit of lemonade drink mix in the frosting, then topped them with a little bit more for great lemonade flavor. Lemonade Cupcakes will be a hit for any occasion.
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 3 oz cream cheese
- 1 C sour cream
- ½ C frozen lemonade concentrate
- 9 egg whites
- 1 ½ C sugar
- 1 ½ lbs (6 sticks) butter
- sweetened lemonade drink mix (such as Country Time)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the cake mix, 3 eggs, cream cheese, sour cream, and lemonade concentrate into a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Line muffin cups with paper liners.
- Fill ⅔ full.
- Bake 20-22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Heat a saucepan of water to a simmer.
- In the metal bowl of a stand mixer, place the 9 egg whites and sugar.
- Place the bowl over the water and whisk continuously, until the sugar completely melts into the egg whites.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and place in the stand mixer. Whisk on high until the mixture becomes stiff and peaks form. Turn to low and continue beating, until mixture is cool.
- Add butter, a small amount at a time, beating on low until all the butter is incorporated. If the mixture starts to look curdled, continue to beat on low and add butter. It will smooth back out.
- Add ¼ C lemonade mix and mix until incorporated.
- Frost the cupcakes, either using a frosting knife or piping bag.
- Sprinkle a little lemonade mix on the top and serve!
Decorating your Lemonade Cupcakes
Frosting your Lemonade Cupcakes is really easy when you use a professional decorating set such as Wilton’s 12 Piece Cupcake Decorating Set. You get 4 decorating tips, perfect for cupcakes and totally reusable, plus, you get 8 plastic decorating bags to fill with your favorite frostings. The price can’t be beat at $8.63! Enjoy the smiles you’ll see when your friends and family bite into a summertime favorite and decorating your Lemonade Cupcakes.